Please be patient ... this blog takes just a little longer to load because of all the graphics here, but it's worth the wait ;--)

If you missed them, click for links to
my 2008 Blog Blasts for Peace:
Sacred Ruminations- The Strength of Gentleness
Small Reflections-A Revolution of Music,
Blog Rolls & Bling - What if?
(a Colorful Alternative to Bombs)
and last June:

Thirteen Thoughts on the Topic of Peace
Peace in Every Step

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

SECURITY ALERT: Did you know ...

... copy machines have hard drives that store a copy of EVERYTHING duplicated on the machine? A friend just sent me this video link to a story from CBS Evening News. Watching it was a shocker to me as I tried to remember all the personal, medical, and financial papers I've copied over the years. What a huge security leak! When old machines are 'recycled' the data (from schools, financial institutions, health providers, law enforcement, government, etc) is available to the next owner. The crazy thing is that for about $500 these machines could be fixed so that drives would be 'scrubbed' automatically ... keeping our data safe, but the industry doesn't seem interested in closing this security breach. I plan to write some letters today ... and before I use a copier in the future, I'll ask about 'data scrubbing' software first!



Thought for Today
"It is not good enough to have a good mind; the main thing is to use it well." Rene Descartes

No comments: